A whole house generator can be great if you live in an area that regularly experiences power cuts. Or, even if you don’t, a whole house generator is an excellent and reliable backup power source to have for your home. You could lose power at any time for any reason – that week you’re working on an important project on your PC could also be that week that your local power line is destroyed in bad weather. You just never do know! A whole house generator will help make sure that those factors that are out with your control won’t affect you all that badly.
In this day and age, as you’ll know, our homes are extremely reliant on a constant supply of energy to allow them and their components to function as they should. Those components being all of your appliances including your fridge, freezer, washing machine, etc. Whilst this is all fairly obvious, you may not have considered that a loss of power to your home for an extended period of time really could be quite a big deal, and quite a bad one at that.
In particular, if you have an electric car or mode of transport, the last thing you would want is to be left in your powerless home! Whole house generators are also known as standby generators, or a full house generator. In this particular post, we’re going to have a look at some of the best whole house generators, including what to look for in terms of whole house generator cost and whole house generator sizing. There are quite a few great options available for use as standby/whole house generators, hopefully after this read, you’ll have a better idea of what will work best for you.
Generac 7043 Home Standby GeneratorThe Generac 7043 is 22 kW generator. Due it’s massive power potential and long runtime capabilities, it makes the perfect whole house generator.
The 7043 from Generac can run well on both propane and natural gas. At peak power, it will return 22,000 watts of power if it’s running on propane, and a very respectable 19,500 watts if it’s burning natural gas.
This Generac has a full remote monitoring system built in, ideal if it truly is bad weather that’s keeping you indoors and your power off! The system allows you to check the status of the 7043 from any device that is internet-enabled. This gives you near enough all of the information that you’d need to know about your Generac 22kW, including fuel levels, runtime remaining, and current power output.
Generac have installed their G-Force engine into this unit. The G-Force engines are pressure lubricated, and are more than capable of handling the large power demands that an entire house would place on it.
There’s also a NEMA 3 smart transfer switch built into this Generac that’s suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. In case you’re unsure, these switches are designed to manage multiple loads on the generator without any additional hardware. This is great value too, considering the switches are sold individually.
As well as the monitoring system, the Generac 22kW whole house generator comes with a display that can be configurated to many languages that displays various points of information such as the power level, and how long you should leave your generator until its next service – all of this helps to make sure you keep your Generac in as good condition as you can!
Even though this generator puts out a huge amount of power, it’s not a massive unstable current like you might think! Due to inverter-like technology that it has installed as well as the switch, it’s more than capable of dividing up its power between any appliances that are requesting it. Any power that it gives out will be suitable for any appliance.
- Minimal maintenance since it has a “self-testing mode” installed, making sure that al components are operating as they should
- Uses True Power technology, which means that like smaller inverter generators, this Generac 7043 is able to deliver power that’s safe for smaller more sensitive electronics as well as larger ones.
- Screen display that makes it easy to see when there’s anything that might require your attention. It also give you advice on service intervals and caring for your generator.
- Well protected against weather in a RhinoCoat power-coated aluminium casing, fighting against the elements and rust.
- Maintenance required fairly frequently
- Wiring can be tricky to reach should you need to
If you’re looking for a sturdy and reliable generator that will be more than capable of keeping your hope powered up at any time, no matter what the weather, the Generac 22kW will do just this.
- True power technology delivers best-in class power quality (less than 5% thd) for Smooth operation of sensitive electronics and appliances
- Includes a 200 amp NEMA 3 (indoor/ outdoor rated) whole house Smart transfer switch
- Generac evolution controller features LED indicators for generator status, utility power presence or maintenance required
- Tough, durable all-weather aluminum enclosure offers 3 removable sides for easy access for installation, service and maintenance
- Battery not included. Generac Battery 7043 5819 Sold Separately.
Champion Power Equipment 100294 14KW Home Standby GeneratorIn terms of what you might expect from a whole house generator, the Champion 100294 is likely to have all of these covered and a considerable amount more. It makes itself clear in the market with its well thought out design and amazing looks. Being a 14kW generator, it’s got more than enough power to see you and your home through the darkness, and has been designed specifically with this in mind as it’s great at working in even the most extreme weathers (between -22 degrees and 104 degrees).
Champion are so confident in their efforts here that they also provide a 10-year warranty to cover the unlikely event of defects or faults. It’s safe to say that this unit is as reliable a backup power source as you could hope to get.
It’s also a smart and economic generator, that’s designed to start when the power in the home cuts off, and to cut off automatically once power has been restored. This saves it from running for vast amounts of time when not in use.
The Champion 14kW can be fuelled by either propane or natural gas. Propane gas will allow you to get slightly more power out of the unit, providing the generator’s maximum power of 14,000 watts. Natural gas will still give you back 12,500 watts that said – it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to use even all of that at once!
The 100294 comes with an all-weather mounting pad too, making installation easy. It’s also enclosed in hard-wearing steel, protecting your generator from even the worst of the weather. This enclosure is also sound-dampening, keeping the generator’s operating volume down at just 63.5 decibels.
- Automatic on/off – turns on and off whenever the power supply to the home cuts off. This safes fuel and means the generator is really quiet efficient.
- Extremely quiet – runs at less than 64 decibels
- Durable and Reliable – well-built by champion and housed in a hard-wearing, weather-resistant, sound-dampening steel enclosure
- Powerful – pushes out 14,000 watts of power when running on propane
- Dual-Fuel – can be run on either propane or natural gas, and never requires refuelling since it can be hooked into the system for your home.
- Warranty – Comes with a limited 10 year warranty from Champion
- Not a lightweight unit
- Has been said to sometimes not start automatically – manual starting may be required occasionally
The Champion 14kW is a well-priced and powerful generator that is without a doubt reliable. It’s weather-resistant, and quiet too. In our opinion, it’s one of the very best whole house generators that money can buy.
- Whole house 24/7 power - the Ats200 whole house transfer switch with demand control provides seamless, managed power to your entire home during an outage
- Quietest-in-class - thanks to advanced sound dampening and a specially designed low-tone muffler, this generator operates at a residential-friendly 63 dba noise level
- Reliable - 24-volt starting system operates in sub-zero or extreme heat (between -22 Degree F and 104 Degree F) with no warming kit necessary, plus the generator performs weekly self-diagnostic tests
- Powerful - the 14-kilowatt generator provides 14, 000 watts of continuous power on propane and 12, 500 watts on natural gas, with no refueling, no Manual operation and no Extension cords needed
- Champion support - includes 10-year limited Warranty with free lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
Kohler 20RESCL-200SELS Air-Cooled Standby GeneratorThe Kohler generator is one that you can rely on should you require a good backup power source that’s especially quiet. It’s secured in a high quality, sound-proofed casing. It runs at a very low volume, and is definitely a lot quieter than many others in its class.
It has an online monitoring system, meaning that you can check the status of the generation from anywhere, at any time, using any internet-connected device. It can even be configured to send you text alerts should it require your immediate attention. You can check important information such as the oil level, fuel level, and even how much power your Kohler is outputting at any one time.
The 20RESCL can be used to power as little or as much as you would like. It’s designed to prioritise certain appliances, and should the load get too much, it’ll only give power to those certain appliances. The management system integrated in the unit is really pretty impressive.
Due to inverter technology that it has fitted, you can be sure that any devices that you use with it are safe – it’s low levels of harmonic distortion make sure of this.
- Quiet operation
- Can be monitored online from any device
- Hard-wearing defensive enclosure
- Extremely low levels of harmonic distortion
- Slight vibration may be an issue
- Customer service thought not to be as good as it could be
This Kohler generator is sure to serve anyone well that’s looking to invest in a high-quality, reliable backup power source that’ll last for a long time. It’s one of the quietest in its class, and provides high quality power.
- 20,000-watt air-cooled generator automatically starts up when the power goes out
- Includes 200 Amp whole-house, service entrance rated, load shedding, automatic transfer switch
- Fast response--power to your home in 10 seconds; premium power quality; quiet operation
- 100% corrosion-proof enclosure offers protection from even the harshest seaside conditions
- Measures 48 by 26.2 by 29 inches; 5-year/2000-hour limited warranty Battery type needed - Group 51
Last update on 2019-05-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API