A small generator is a great piece of kit to have if you’d like to have high-quality power whilst on-the-go, but without compromising on space. Some generators are very large in size and aren’t able to put out large amounts of power. In other words, they’re very inefficient.
The best small generators on the market are able to deliver high levels of power, but in a small and compact package that’s designed to be moved around with ease. In this guide, we’ll have a close look at the 5 small generators on the market that we believe to offer the best value for money, the most power, and that are all-round the best small generators.
Honda EU2200iA good small generator should be equipped with a powerful engine, be well-built, and must be able to provide power for as long as possible. The Honda EU2200i boasts these features in a small package that is still powerful. It’s well built, is aesthetically pleasing, and is able to provide a max output of 2200 watts, which is more than the previous EU generator from Honda gave.
It’s been improved over the earlier EU2000i, but still retains those qualities that were loved by everyone – at 47 pounds it’s still small and very portable.
In addition to its maximum power output of 2200 watts, it’s got a running output of 1800 watts. It will be able to handle well just about anything that you would like to power with it! The EU2200i can be connected via parallel connection too. If you’d like a bit more power on occasion, a parallel connection is the perfect capability to have.
The EU2200i, as well as being a small generator it is also an inverter generator. The inverter installed in this generator allows for the safest and smoothest electrical output possible. This makes the EU2200i great for use when charging and using smaller devices and appliances, such as digital cameras and mobile phones for example.
- More powerful and durable than the earlier model, this generator is now more efficiently cooled and offers inproved fuel efficiency as a result of Honda installing an “Eco-Throttle” system
- Small and Portable – it weighs a mere 47 lbs and is equipped with an easy -to-use carrying handle
- Extremely quiet – the EU2200i makes just 57 decibels of noise
- Easy to start with minimal recoil
- Can be used in a variety of situation due to its quiet operation, small size, and impressive power output
- Great Running Times – the EU2200i will keep running for almost 9 hours when being used at 25% of its capability. It can still run for over 3 hours at full load, too.
- No gas level
- Could be more cost-effective
We have a full review of the EU2200i here too!
Generac IQ2000The IQ2000 from Generac really is a great small, quiet portable generator. The IQ2000 stands out from its peers with its extremely quiet operating volumes, which we’ll take a look at very shortly.
This unit weighs in at only 46.2lbs, making it incredibly small and portable. It comes complete with a carry handle and can be easily moved to any location by one person due to its tiny weight.
The IQ2000 is easily started with its strong and powerful pull cord. To control the power output, it’s fitted with a dial on the left-hand side. The large dial allows you to easily specify the running power that you would like. Here on the control panel, there are also the options to start and stop the generator. This dial is one of the best features of the IQ2000 and makes for easy control no matter the conditions.
The IQ2000 has three different operating mode. The differing modes all output different power outputs and levels of efficiency. These are economy (the lowest power output yet most efficient), standard (a good middle-ground), and turbo (the maximum power output of the IQ2000).
This unit from Generac is great at informing the user of everything they could need to know whilst the generator is running. It’s fitted with a fuel gauge, as well as a wattage meter displaying how many watts are currently being used by what appliances are plugged into the generator, as well as the percentage of the generator’s capabilities that you’re using at any one time. The IQ2000 is fitted with a low oil shutdown system too.
The panel on the front of the Generac displays well all of the information you could possibly need to know about the operation of the IQ2000 at the current time– there’s even data informing you of how much time is left in the current fuel if the current load is continually used!
- 2000W Max Power
- 1600W Continuous Power
- Extremely quiet – this IQ2000 from Generac operates at just 53dB – quieter than some conversations between humans!
- Very small – it weighs only 46.2lbs and is extremely easy to move around
- Fuel capacity of just over one gallon. This will allow the IQ2000 to run at 25% of its total capability for more than 9 hours.
- Runtime display
- Parallel kit availability – the IQ2000 can be joined with another IQ2000 to combine forces, making for more total power
- Fuel leaks – the IQ2000 has been said to suffer from fuel leakages
Here’s an in-depth review of The Generac IQ2000.
WEN 56200iThe WEN 56200i is small, and operates at an extremely quiet volume.
This 56200i will give out 1600 watts of continuous power with minimal harmonic distortion. The power output by the 56200i is clean and safe and is ideal for use alongside smaller more sensitive devices such as tablets and digital cameras. The inverter that the 56200i is fitted with makes this small generator very versatile.
The 56200i is extremely small and portable. It can be used anywhere you’d like, and at any time. It weighs less than 50 pounds and has a comfortable carrying handle. It’s extremely easy to lift and move around with ease.
It’s an astonishingly quiet unit, operating at just 51 decibels when under 25% load. When the 56200i is under 3/4 load, it emits just 55 decibels of sound. The tiny amount of sound that’s made by the 56200i is comparable to a regular conversation between a few people.
The WEN56200i is fitted with an efficient little 80cc engine. It’s small and powerful, and is compliant with both EPA III and CARB, meaning that it’s good for use anywhere in the US.
- 2000 Surge Watts
- 1600 Running Watts
- Small and portable – the 56200i weighs less than 50 lbs, so this portable little unit can be easily moved
- Economic – this generator is fitted with technology that detecys how mucb power is needed to power what’s currently plugged in. It doesn’t output any more than is needed, thus saving fuel
- Parallel Connectivity
- Low oil level detection
- Warranty of 2 years
- Oil changes could be easier
Yamaha EF2000iS V2A good inverter generator that has been well made is a great backup power source, should your home lose power, or if you’re on the move and require power.
Yamaha is a company that is strongly associated with great build quality and durability. The generators that are made by Yamaha are proof of this.
The V2 is the second in the line of the EF2000iS, taking after the previous V1. The V2 has on offer a number of improved points and features compared to the previous model.
Being an inverter generator, the EF2000iS V2 produces power that suffers the least possible harmonic distortion and that it is therefore very safe for use with devices that require high-quality power, such as laptops and mobile phones.
The V2 is a very fuel-efficient generator that is can run for up to 10.5 hours from one tank of fuel when running at a quarter capacity.
The V2 is equipped with a small and economical engine that makes it a very powerful, but small and portable generator. Due to its small size but great power capabilities, it lends itself well to so many situations. It’s ideal for use with smaller power tools, but also makes for a great generator to take camping due to its small lightweight nature, and quiet operating volume.
- 1600 watts of running power
- 2000 watts of surge power
- Quiet operation of less than 52 dBA
- Extremely fuel-efficient – the EF2000iS is able to run for 10.5 hours at 25% load
- Fuel efficient – the generator uses Yamaha’s ‘Smart Throttle’ technology, that means the engine only runs at the speed that’s needed to supply the current power output
- Advanced current stabilization – the power from the V2 has a tiny amount of harmonic distortion
- Small and easily moveable
- Multiple electric outlets can be easily accessed on the V2, as it offers two 120v AC outlets, along with a 12 volt DC outlet!
- Low oil warning and engine shutdown in the event that the level of oil becomes dangerously low
- It’s a small generator and isn’t suitable for powering larger, heavy machinery or appliances
The iGen2200 is a small and powerful generator with a maximum power of 2200 watts. The iGen2200 is a small generator that’s easily portable and lightweight – it’s great for giving you high-quality power whenever and wherever you need it.
It has a 1.2-gallon fuel tank and is an economic generator that’s able to run for more than 11 hours when at 25% of its load.
The iGen2200 also has the option for parallel connectivity. This is very useful if 2200 watts of starting power isn’t quite enough, and you need more for either one particular appliance or indeed multiple appliances. Parallel connectivity allows you to join the forces of more than one Westinghouse unit together, to get a greater total power output and the possibility to spread a load of a heavier consumer between the two units if you’d like.
It’s not a loud unit either, running at just 52 decibels when being used at 25% capacity.
This iGen2200 has 4 power outlets fitted. It’s got two standard 120v outlets as well as 2 USB outlets. This is a great variety of outlets, as it means that a number of different devices can be plugged into the generator and used/charged simultaneously.
The iGen2200 is fitted with an inverter too. This allows it to output the highest quality power that’s safe to use with small, sensitive devices such as laptops and cameras – exactly the types that you’re likely to plug into a small portable generator. The power that comes from the iGen2200 has an extremely small amount of harmonic distortion.
It’s a very small generator weighing only 46 pounds. It’s very portable and easy to use wherever you go.
- Maximum Output of 2200 watts
- Running Power of 1800 watts
- Fuel efficient – the generator can run for up to 12 hours
- Produces very high-quality power that’s suitable for all electronics due to its advanced inverter
- EPA Compliant
- CARB Compliant
- CSA Compliant
- Designed to power small appliances, and is therefore unsuitable for larger and heavy machinery
The Honda EU2200i is the ultimate all-round generator. It looks great, it’s well-made, and it’s small and lightweight. The great name of Honda does however come at a bit of a price, but if you’re looking for a great small generator you wouldn’t be disappointed after purchasing. In our opinion, it’s the best small generator out there.
The IQ2000 from Generac is the lightest from the guide. It weighs only 46.2 lbs and is still able to put out 2000 watts of power.
The WEN 562000i is a very quiet and well-refined generator. It operates at only 51 decibels. If you are in search of a unit that’s able to put out a great amount of power whilst maintaining portability and quietness, it’s a very good choice.
The EF2000iS from Yamaha is a generator that’s got a good name behind it. The power that’s output by the EF2000iS is very high quality, with minimal harmonic distortion.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 is a small, light and very portable generator from the oldest name in power generation. It has very long runtimes, being able to run for over 11 hours.
Last update on 2020-04-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API