A quiet generator is so much better than one that’s loud and unpredictable. Not only that, a generator that’s quiet and refined is essential in many situations, especially in locations that have noise restrictions in place. A generator that’s quiet and refined also makes for a far nicer all round experience.
In this post, we’re going to take a look at 5 of the best quiet generators on the market today. One of the main major complaints that people have to make about portable generators is the loud volume that some of them are known to operate at. There’s no need to say that anyone that is looking to buy a generator would like to spend their money on the quietest and most powerful one available.
However, finding a generator that’s both quiet and powerful can be challenging. In this post, we’ll take a close look at some of the quietest generators that are available for purchase, including everything that you should consider before buying a quiet generator.
Honda EU3000iS Portable Inverter GeneratorHonda have been at the forefront of powered machinery and vehicle production for many years, including power generation.
The EU3000iS generator is a powerful 3000 watt generator. Despite its power, it’s still good to power smaller and more delicate devices – phones, cameras, and laptops, etc. Whilst providing clean and stable power for smaller devices, it’s still great for use with larger appliances such as hoovers, televisions, and kitchen appliances.
The Honda EU3000iS isn’t the cheapest generator in its class, but it is one of the best and is unbelievably quiet.
It weighs 131 pounds, and can be moved by two people easily using carrying handles fitted for this purpose.
It’s strong and sturdy and is a very well-grounded and secure unit.
To add to its portability, there’s the option of a wheel kit too making for greater portability. This EU3000iS is easy to maintain – simple regular maintenance will ensure it serves you well.
The 200cc engine can be started electrically too, making for an easy and effortless start. It also runs at just 58 decibels. The efficient engine will run for almost 20 hours from its 3.4 gallon fuel tank.
The EU3000iS also accommodates for parallel connection, which allows for additional power should you need it, as well as load spreading. For portability, it’s got two handles. Although you’ll need two people to move the EU3000iS around comfortably, it’ll give all the power you need and more.
- Extremely Quiet – the EU3000iS operates between 49 and 58 decibels. This is the same volume or quieter than a human conversation. It’s the quietest generator available.
- Fuel efficient due to the “eco throttle” system that ensures the engine is only run at the speed that’s necessary for generation of the required output.
- Inverter – provides smooth and clean power with minimal harmonic distortion that’s suitable for smaller devices
- Maximum wattage of 3000 watts
- Running wattage of 2800 watts
- Not lightweight, weighing in at 130 pounds
- Not cheap
We’ve reviewed the Honda EU3000iS in full here too!
- Authorized Distributor Includes All Documentation and Support.
Yamaha EF2000iS V2 Inverter GeneratorYamaha are a company that are known for their high build quality and reliability. They specialize in a variety of different products, all in different areas of the market. The EF2000iS V2 is no different from any of the other products from Yamaha – it’s extremely well built, it looks great, and it’s designed with usability held first and foremost.
The main focal point of the EF2000iS however is that it is extremely quiet and refined. It’s great for use in any situation that power is required, as well as extreme quiet. For example, if you are in a location that has a noise restrictions in place, but you still require power, the EF2000iS from Yamaha is the ideal solution. The EF2000iS operates at just 52 decibels!
Quiet operation isn’t the only thing that the EF2000iS is able to boast about either. It’s incredibly portable at just over 40 pounds in weight – because of this, it’s easy for one person to move it around at any time, without struggle. You can put your faith in any generator from Yamaha, they come with the highest engine durability ratings attached to them from the Environmental Protection Agency.
The Yamaha EF2000iS V2 is the second version of this successful model – it offers some more features and capabilities than its predecessor did. It does however still have everything that everyone loved about the V1 – quiet operation, portability, and great build quality.
The EF2000iS V2 is an inverter generator, meaning that it is able to provide a very high quality of electrical output, that has minimal harmonic distortion. The smooth and sae power that the EF2000iS outputs is more than safe for all smaller electronic devices, such as laptops, phones, and cameras.
- Continual output of 1600 watts, and a starting wattage output of 2000 watts – more than enough power for the vast majority of portable uses
- Extremely quiet operation– when the generator is under a quarter load, it operates at just under 52 dBA – less volume than the average human conversation!
- Extremely efficient – runs on just one gallon of fuel for 10.5 hours of the generator’s operation whilst at a quarter load.
- Smart Throttle– engine speed is adjusted to provide only the power output that is required – this makes for quieter, more refined operation
- Smooth and safe power output due to the inverter fitted within
- Extremely portable at just over40 pounds in weight
- Multiple different electric outlets are easily accessible on the V2, as it provides a 12 volt DC outlet, and two 120v AC outlets!
- Oil warning light and automatic shut down if oil level is too low
- No display screen – can be purchased at an additional extra cost
- Is unable to power a lot of larger appliances at once due to its small portable nature
If you’d like more information on this quiet generator, you may be interested in our full review of the Yamaha EF2000iS V2!
- 1600 watt rated AC output, 2000 watt maximum AC output, 13.3/16.7 amps @ 120V
- Super-quiet muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor - 51.5 dBA at 1/4 load
- Smart Throttle varies engine speed based on load - improves fuel economy and reduces noise
- Inverter system with Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) control
- CARB Compliant
WEN 56200i Portable Inverter GeneratorThe WEN 56200i is a unit that is well deserving of a place on our list of the most quiet generators. It is able to run unbelievably silently, and truly is what one might call a whisper quiet generator.
The 56200i from WEN outputs power that is very smooth and safe, with a delivery of 1600 watts. This is due to the fact it has an inverter fitted. The inverter allows the 56200i to be able to produce smooth and reliable power with a very tiny amount of harmonic distortion. It’s therefore power that you can use to power small and delicate devices such as phones and cameras without having any worries about damaging them.
Whilst the 56200i is an all-round amazing generator, the volume that the WEN 56200i runs at is truly amazing. It’s an amazingly quiet generator that produces a mere 51 decibels of noise when it’s under a quarter capacity.
When the 56200i is running at 75 percent of its total capacity, it does so whilst only producing 55 decibels of noise. This is almost unheard of, it has to be one of the quietest generators that money can buy that still produces 1600 watts of power!
The amount of sound that the 56200i from WEN makes is similar to a regular conversation between two human beings.
Its small yet powerful 4 stroke engine with an 80cc capacity is more than capable of outputting 2000 starting watts, and providing 1600 continuous watts of power. It’s CARB and EPA III compliant too, so you can be sure you’re having as small an impact on the environment as you can when running the 56200i.
The nature of the inverter that’s installed in this inverter generator means that it can almost exactly duplicate pure sine wave. This means that the harmonic distortion in the electricity that is provided by this generator is less than 1.5%, even when it’s at full load. You don’t need to worry about plugging delicate devices straight into the generator, such as phones, cameras, and laptops, and smaller appliances.
- USB outputs – smaller devices such as mobile phones can be plugged right into the generator – particularly handy if you’re outside
- Extremely quiet, operating at just 51 decibels
- Easily moveable and portable generator, weighing less than 50 pounds.
- It can be connected in parallel with another 56200i. This is a good feature to have if you’d like more power, or would like to spread the load of more hungry appliances between two units
- Automatic low oil level warning and shutdown system
- 2 year warranty
- Users have reported oil changes to be tricky
- Extremely quiet operation is comparable to the sound of a normal conversation according to the US Department of Health and Human Services
- EPA III and CARB Compliant 79.7 cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 2000 surge watts and 1600 rated watts
- Great for campgrounds, construction sites, tailgates and power outages
- Produces clean power to safely operate and prevent damage to sensitive electronics such as smart phones, tablets, televisions and computers
- Includes two three-prong 120V receptacles, one 12V DC receptacle and one 5V USB port
Generac IQ2000The IQ2000 from Generac is an extremely quiet machine. The IQ2000 is even quiet when it’s providing it’s full power potential.
The IQ200 is started by a strong pull cord, and can be easily controlled by a large dial on the left side of the unit, that allows you to specify running power. This dial makes the generator very usable indeed, as it allows you to still be able to accurately and precisely control the unit without flicking and adjusting tiny switches.
This Generac can operate in three different modes, each providing different power output:
Economy mode uses less fuel, and provides the smallest amount of power
Turbo mode is the loudest (still very quiet), and is the least efficient mode. It will however give you the full power potential of your IQ2000.
Standard mode is the best of both worlds. It uses less fuel than turbo mode, but more than economy. It also provides a good amount of power that’s suitable for most appliances that will be plugged into it.
The IQ2000 also has a low oil level warning system, which will automatically shut down the engine should oil level become too low.
The panel on the front will show you everything you all of the information you could possibly need to use the generator well – there’s even information on how much time is left in the current fuel if the current load is continued!
- So very quiet – when under 25% load, it runs at just 53dB, which is quieter than some conversations between humans!
- 120 volt output– great for powering smaller appliances
- Starting output of 2000 watts, continual output of 1600 watts.
- One gallon fuel tank
- Runtime of 9 hours
- Parallel kit availability– the parallel kit means that you can attach another IQ2000 to operate alongside the one that you’re using. This is handy to give you more power, or even just if you’d like to spread the load of power usage over two units.
- It has been reported by some users that their IQ2000 has suffered a minor fuel leakage
If you’d like more information on the Generac IQ2000, why not check out our full review of the Generac IQ2000 here?
- Quieter than Honda. Smarter. Portable. Run Time (50% Load)-5.7 hrs. Fuel Capacity-1.06 Gallons. AC Rated Output Running Watts-1600
- PowerDial integrates start/run/stop functions into 1 easy-to-use dial / PowerBar monitors and displays wattage used
- 7.7 hours run time at 25% load. Displacement: 80 cc; Oil Type: SAE 10W-30
- Economy, Standard, and Turbo modes of operation saves fuel and reduces noise
- Parallel 2 units together for twice the power (parallel kit model 6877 sold separately) / Storage Cover model 6875 sold separately.Full load fuel consumption (gallons/hour):2.85
Champion Power Equipment 2000-Watt Stackable Portable Inverter GeneratorThe 73536I from champion power equipment is a gasoline powered inverter generator that’s quiet, looks great, and is extremely sturdy.
When working at a quarter of its load, the 73536I will run for up to 9.5 hours from a full tank of gasoline.
It operates at just 53 decibels too, meaning that you won’t need to worry about noise restrictions, or annoying other people when using this generator. 53 decibels is comparable to a regular conversation between a few people, so you can imagine how quiet this generator really is.
As you would expect from champion power equipment, this well me generator is provided as standard with a number of features, including low oil detection and automatic shutdown, as well as an economy mode that can be employed if you’d like to save fuel, and run your generator in even more quietly.
Although it’s a small and portable unit, it manages to provide 1700 continual of power and has a starting wattage of 2000 watts.
The 73536I is fitted with an inverter. The inverter allows this generator to provide very clean and safe power, with minimal harmonic distortion. This makes the 73536I suitable for a large variety of smaller appliances, as well as larger ones as you would expect.
Being a quiet generator that is powerful, is able to provide safe power to a variety of devices, and that is portable, it makes for a great generator for taking out and about in the summer months.
- Very quiet at just 53 decibels
- 1600 continual watts of power, 2000 starting watts
- Inverter generator, and so can provide clean and safe power for all devices
- Run time of up to 9.5 hours from just one tank
- Portable, weighing less than 50 pounds and with its shape being very easy to pack away into spaces
- Fuel efficient, and provided with an economy mode if you’d like even more efficiency and quieter operation
- No gasoline or oil drain plug
The Honda EU3000iS is great for the person that’s looking for the quietest and most powerful generator that they can get. It’s able to operate at volumes as low as 49 decibels, which is almost unheard of. This fantastic level of power and refinement does however come at a bit of a price premium.
The EF2000iS V2 is a safe option, given that it’s continued from a previous successful model. It’s small, portable, and very fuel efficient. It makes for a great little backup generator, or for taking camping for example.
The WEN 56200i is a great generator if you’d like to power or charge a number of devices at the same time. It’s got an inverter which means it’s safe for small devices, and even comes fitted with USB outputs meaning you can plug them straight into the generator without using up one of the larger outlets.
The Generac IQ2000 provides a few different modes, making it a generator that’s great if you know you’re not going to be using the full potential of your generator all of the time. It’s also got a large dial, meaning it’s easy to control the generator at all times.
The 73536I from Champion is a great generator that comes in a cube shape. It’s extremely quiet and will provide 1600 watts of continuous power. Its shape makes it easy to pack away for camping or similar and is very portable weighing less than 50 pounds.
Last update on 2019-06-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API