Traditional gasoline generators are great – of that there’s no doubt. However, propane powered generators are able to offer a number of advantages and features that simply cannot be offered by their more traditional gasoline-powered counterparts. Whilst still being portable, propane powered generators are cleaner environmentally-speaking and tend to have longer run-times too. They also have the advantage that propane gas is available when gasoline might not be, since it’s stored in tanks and not pumps. It also doesn’t go “off” as regular gasoline does – it has an extremely long shelf life. They’re also cheaper to run, and better for the environment.
Propane generators aren’t any less able than gasoline generators. In fact, in many cases, they’re more capable. In this post, we’ll take a look at what we believe to be the 5 best propane/dual-fuel generators available on the market today.
Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel Inverter GeneratorThis 3400w mobile generator from Champion is a dual fuel generator that has a number of uses including camping, boating, and many other outdoor uses. It’s a dual fuel generator, meaning it can run on either regular gasoline or propane gas. The two can be easily switched between using the selector switch, and is an extremely useful option to have should you be short on either fuel.
It’s got a starting wattage of 3400 watts and will provide you with 3100 watts continually. It’s also fitted with an inverter meaning that it’s good to power those smaller more sensitive devices directly, as well as it being more than capable of powering large RV appliances including heaters and air conditioning units.
As it’s a dual fuel propane generator, its running times are different for each fuel. It will run for more than 7 hours on 1.6 gallons of regular gasoline. On propane gas, however, it will keep going for over 13 hours from one single tank of propane gas when being used at 25% of its load.
It’s also not a loud generator, operating at just 59 decibels when at 25% of its load. It’s quiet as well as fuel efficient too.
As you’d expect from a champion power equipment generator, it’s got a number of great features including an electrical start button – -you’ll never need to worry about those awful pull starts!
The 3400-watt dual fuel unit also has a low oil warning and automatic shutdown system, as well as a TT-30 power outlet that’s designed specifically for use with RV’s which is easily accessible from a large control panel on the front of the unit. It’s also got 2 standard electrical household sockets and a USB port.
- Fuel efficient – the engine but only run at whatever speed is needed to produce the amount of power that is currently being used. This avoids excess fuel being used when unnecessary.
- Dual fuel – can run on either regular gasoline or propane gas
- RV ready – very easy to access and use control panel mounted on the front of the generator, as well as a TT-30, RV-ready socket.
- It’s fitted with an inverter, allowing it to produce clean and stable power with minimal harmonic distortion
- Not easy for one person to lift at 97 pounds
- Carrying handles have been said to not be particularly durable
- Dual Fuel - Operate your 3400-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus the unit holds 0.6-quarts of oil (recommended 10W-30) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
- Convenient Electric Start with 3-Position Ignition Switch - Battery included, plus Quick Touch Panel allows you to access all your controls in one spot.Noise Level :59 dBA at 23 feet. Frequency 60 Hz
- Ultra-Quiet Operation - 59 dBA is perfect for RVs, tailgating, your next project or backup power for your home, featuring 3400 starting watts and 3100 running watts with up to 7.5 hours run time on gasoline
- Clean Power for Sensitive Electronics - RV Ready with a 120V 30A RV, plus two 120V 20A household outlets with clean electricity (less than 3% THD) and 12V DC outlet with dual USB adapter
- Champion Support - Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
Sportsman GEN4000DF Dual Fuel Portable GeneratorThe Sportsman GEN4000DF is a dual fuel generator that’s designed for use in rougher and tougher environments. It has been designed with use on construction and building sites in mind, and as a reliable source of portable electricity anywhere you take it.
Being dual fuel, it will run happily on either regular gasoline or propane gas. This is extremely convenient as no special adaptations need to be made – the fuel type can simply be changed by flicking a switch, as long as you have both connected of course.
The wattage that the GEN4000DF is able to produce is dependent on the type of fuel being used at the time. Whilst they’re both much the same, gasoline will provide a maximum wattage of 4000, whilst you only get 3600 from propane. Regular gasoline will provide 3500 continual watts of power, but you’ll still get a very respectable 3150 continual watts of power when fuelling with propane.
The GEN4000DF very versatile generator in both the fuels that it can run on, and the tasks that it is able to power.
It’s fitted with a gas tank of 3.6 gallons. When filled with normal gasoline, it will run for up to 10 hours. If the GEN4000DF is connected to a 20 lbs propane cylinder, it’ll run for an impressive 12 hours when being used at half load.
It’s equipped with safety features such as a low oil warning system and an automatic shutdown to avoid severe engine damage. It’s a great generator for use in the outdoors, for camping, or for events that you just need some portable power that’s quick and easily accessible.
- A high powered generator that will provide continual power of 3500 watts, and a starting wattage of 4000 watts.
- 3600 watts of starting power and 3150 watts of continual power provided when fuelled with propane.
- Low oil warning and automatic shutdown system
- Large number of power outlets, including 4 standard household sockets, an RV-Ready port, and a DC socket.
- No warnings of low fuel
- No wheels or easy transportation options provided as standard
- 4,000 Watts Rated, 3,500 Starting Watts; Outlets: 4-120V outlets, 1-120V RV outlet, 1-12V DC outlet, regulator hose kit included
- Dual Fuel Capable - operates off Propane or Gasoline, 212cc OHV Engine; EPA approved
- Runs for 10 hours on a full tank of gas (3.6 gal.) or propane tank at 50% load, Decibel rating < 69 decibel
- Recoil Start, Weight: 90 lbs.; Dimension: 24.5" (L) x 17" (W) x 16.5" (H)
- 1 Year Limited Warranty
Westinghouse WGEN3600DF Portable GeneratorThe Westinghouse WGen3600DF is a power dual fuel generator, accepting either propane or regular gasoline very happily. It’s designed with technology and concepts that are right at the front of the dual fuel generator market and is packed full of all of the features that you would expect from the oldest and arguably the best name in power generation – Westinghouse.
It’s able to put out 4650 watts of starting power and will provide a respectable 3600 watts of continuous power when running on gasoline. When being fuelled on propane gas, it’ll still push out a starting wattage of 4180, and provide a continual wattage of 3240 watts.
If you’d like to switch between the two fuel options, you can do so easily at any time by using the selector switch that’s mounted on the front of the generator. On the control panel at the front of the unit, there are also color-coded buttons that make for easy operation at all times.
It’s also fitted with advanced features such as low oil detection and automatic shutdown should the oil level become too low. It’s also fitted with a muffler, making this WGEN3600 dual fuel generator as quiet as it can be.
It’s CARB compliant too, meaning you can be sure you’re having as small an impact as possible on the environment when using this generator and can use it anywhere in the US.
- Multiple starting options – can be started with a standard recoil start or electrically too. It’s also got a wireless remote start option
- Very fuel efficient – the 4 gallon fuel tank fitted to the WGEN3600DF will provide you with power for a long time. If running on propane gas, it’ll give out 25% of its power for up to 20 hours.
- Has a large variety of sockets, including an RV-Ready tt-30R, making it quick and easy to plug your RV into should you need to.
- Not very lightweight at 109 lbs, but, is fitted with solid wheels making for reliable portability
- 3600 Rated Watts & 4650 Peak Watts (Gasoline); 3240 Rated Watts & 4180 Peak Watts (Propane); 4 Gallon Fuel Tank (with Fuel Gauge); Electric Push Button and Remote Start
- Intuitive Control Panel Features a 5-20R 120V Duplex Outlet, an RV-Ready TT-30 30 Amp Outlet, and an L5-30 30 Amp Outlet
- 212cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine; Long Lasting Cast Iron Engine Sleeve; Automatic Low Oil Shutdown
- Plug-and-Play! Comes With Oil, Oil Funnel, Tool Kit, and User's Manual; Minimal Assembly Required (Wheel Installation and Battery Hookup)
- EPA, CARB, and CSA Compliant; 3-Year Warranty; Nationwide Customer Service and Support at 1-855-944-3571 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Duromax XP12000EH Dual Fuel GeneratorThe DuroMax XP12000EH is by far the most powerful generator on our list of the best propane generators. It has available a maximum power output of a massive 12,000 watts. It’ll also provide continual power up to 9,500 watts when running on standard gasoline. If the unit’s being run on propane gas, it’s still able to provide a huge peak power of 10,200 watts, and continuous power of up to 8075 watts.
With 12,000 watts of power available on tap, it can power almost anything that you might throw at it around the home. It could even be used as a backup generator for your house, should you lose power due to bad weather for example. It can be connected to the main power of your home via a transfer switch easily.
The XP12000EH is encased in a hardwearing, heavy-duty steel cage. It’s got 4 mounting points that make it easy to get into a secure position anywhere. It’s also got wheels attached that are heavy duty and well-made, it’s great for taking over rougher terrain and improved portability.
On the front of the unit, there’s an informative and easy-to-read control and information panel, providing information on how much power is being used, a voltmeter, as well as circuit breakers and oil warning lights.
It’s got many great points that make the DuroMax XP12000EH a very refined unit. These include electric starting capabilities, automatic shutdown should the oil level become dangerously low, and high-quality mufflers that allow the generator to operate at just 74 decibels, which is very impressive for a unit that’s giving out 12,000 watts of power.
It’s got power overload protection as well, which makes the engine halt should the generator become too hot.
- Very powerful 18hp engine that’s able to run on propane or gasoline
- Long runtimes – the 8.3 gallon gas tank will provide almost 10 hours of running power when filled with gasoline. From a 40lb tank of propane gas, you’ll get up to 20 hours of usage, at half of the generator’s load.
- Is equipped with Duromax’s “Power Boost,” allowing you to easily flick between a 120V or 240V power output.
- Low oil warning and automatic shutdown
- 10,200 watts of peak power from propane
- 12,000 watts of peak power from gasoline
- 3-year warranty
- Known to leak oil after starting the engine
- Some users have reported customer care to be slow when dealing with issues
- POWERFUL DUROMAX ENGINE: The XP12000EH is Powered by a DuroMax 18HP, 457cc OHV Engine.
- DUAL FUEL TECHNOLOGY: The ability to run on Propane or Gasoline allows the Freedom and Flexibility of Fuel Choice.
- PLENTY OF POWER: With 12,000 starting watts and 9,500 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools.
- MAXIMUM POWER: With DuroMax MX2 technology, get the maximum power from each of the 120 Volt receptacle. choose between operating the generator at both 120 V and 240 V simultaneously, or at 120 only with full power.
- POWERING EVERYONE ANYWHERE: Like all DuroMax generators, the XP12000EH is EPA and CARB approved for use in all 50 states.
Pulsar Products PG10000B16 Dual Fuel GeneratorPulsar Product’s PG10000B16 unit is another dual fuel generator, being able to run on either propane gas, or regular gasoline. When running on gasoline, it will output a maximum power of 10,000 watts and will provide continuous power at 8000 watts. When burning propane gas, it’ll still give you 9000 watts of starting power, and a continuous power output of 7000 watts.
The large power availability that the PG10000B16 offers is more than capable of covering your power needs in the event of a power cut at your home. The 10,000 watts of power that it provides are able to cover all large appliances in and around your home. It’s also able to power larger machinery and tools in the garden and garage.
It’s fitted with an efficient engine with 15 horsepower, all encased in a heavy-duty steel frame. It’s also got reinforced tires that don’t go flat regardless of the terrain, as well as handles that you can use to pull the generator for maximum portability.
It can be started by recoil pull start or electric start. Dependant on the fuel that you’d like to use at the time, there’s a selector switch which makes it easy to choose. It’s also got the usual safety features that you’d expect on a high-class generator such as a low oil warning and automatic engine shutdown system, as well as power overload protection and circuit breakers.
The PG10000B16 is CARB compliant too, so you can use it anywhere in the United States, and can be sure that you’re not doing unnecessary damage to the environment at the same time.
- Ergonomically designed control panel, with power meters and low oil indicators
- Large number of power outlets – 4 h120v outlets, an RV-Ready 50 amp socket, a 120V/240V 30A Twist-Lock socket, as well as a smaller 12V DC outlet. All of these make the Pulsar Products unit excellent for powering a large variety of appliance types at the same time.
- Maximum starting wattage of 10,000 watts when being powered by gasoline
- Maximum starting wattage of 9000 watts when being powered by propane
- More than capable of powering larger appliances around the house should you lose power
- Quite loud when operating at higher speed
- Power output said to be variable by some users
- 10, 000W peak 8000W rated (gas)/ 9000W peak 7000W rated (LPG)
- The powerful 420cc, 4-stroke, OHV, air cooled Engine is protected by a durable powder coated Steel frame
- A large 6. 6 gallon fuel tank give you up to 12 hours of continuous operation at half load when running on gasoline
- Switch & Go technology allow for seamless transitioning between LPG and gasoline fuel sources while still in operation
- Electric push start with recoil backup make start-up quick and easy, so you can get up and running with less hassle
Whilst every generator on our list of propane powered generators are fantastic buys, they each have their own uses and points that they’re best at.
The Champion 3400W Inverter Dual Fuel Generator is great for fuel efficiency as well as powering smaller appliances, due to the high-quality inverter that it has fitted. It provides value for money, a brand name that is well-respected, and enough power to keep the large majority of appliances going for a long time. Being RV-Ready, it’s great for use when camping or traveling around.
The Sportsman GEN4000DF is the generator to go for if you’re looking for rough and tough power. It does exactly what it says – it provides power, is reliable, and is built with heavy-duty use in mind.
The Westinghouse WGEN3600DF is a heavy-duty generator that still offers portability. It’s got the Westinghouse name and provides 4650 watts of clean, safe power.
The DuroMax XP12000EH is a generator that provides a mass of power – 12,000 watts to be precise. If you need large amounts of smooth power from either propane or gasoline, you need look no further.
The Pulsar Products PG10000B16 is another generator that will provide a lot of power when you need it. It’s heavy-duty and features a great looking, easy-to-use control panel.
Last update on 2019-06-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API