Traditional gasoline generators are great – of that there’s no doubt. However, propane powered generators are able to offer a number of advantages and features that simply cannot be offered by their more traditional gasoline-powered counterparts. Whilst still being portable, propane powered generators are cleaner environmentally-speaking and tend to have longer run-times too. They also have the advantage that propane gas is available when gasoline might not be, since it’s stored in tanks and not pumps. It also doesn’t go “off” as regular gasoline does – it has an extremely long shelf life. They’re also cheaper to run, and better for the environment.
Propane generators aren’t any less able than gasoline generators. In fact, in many cases, they’re more capable. In this post, we’ll take a look at what we believe to be the 5 best propane/dual-fuel generators available on the market today.
Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel Inverter GeneratorThis mobile 3400w generator from Champion is a dual fuel generator that offers a variety of uses including boating, camping, and many other outdoor activities. It’s a dual fuel generator, meaning it is able to be run on both propane gas or regular gasoline. It’s easy to switch between the two with the selector switch. It is a very useful option should you find yourself short on either type of fuel.
It’s starting wattage is 3400 watts, which will provide you with 3100 watts continuously. It also comes fitted with an inverter, which means it’s good to directly power all those smaller, much more sensitive devices, along with being more than able of powering large RV appliances like air conditioning units and heaters.
As this is a dual-fuel propane generator, the running times are different with each type of fuel. It can run for over seven hours on 1.6 gallons of regular gasoline. However, on propane gas it can keep operating for more than 13 hours from just one single tank when used at 25% of its load.
Also, as a generator it’s not loud and operates at just 59 decibels when at this 25% of its load. So this mobile 3400w generator from Champion is quiet as well as being fuel efficient.
As is expected with Champion power equipment generators, this one comes with numerous great features including an electrical start button – so, you’ll never have to worry about those awful pull starts!
The Champion 3400-Watt Dual Fuel Inverter Generator also comes with a system that warns when the oil is low and automatically shuts down the generator to protect it. In addition, there is a TT-30 power outlet that’s specifically designed to be used with RVs and is easily accessible from a large control panel on the front of the unit. It’s also got two standard electrical household sockets along with a USB port.
- Fuel efficient – the engine only runs at whatever speed is required to generate the power being used at any one time. This avoids the danger of excess fuel being used when it’s not necessary.
- Dual fuel – the unit is able to run on both regular gasoline and propane gas
- RV ready – very easy to access and use the control panel that is mounted on the generator’s front, as well as having an RV-ready TT-30 socket.
- It’s fitted with an inverter – it produces stable, clean power with minimal harmonic distortion
- At 97 pounds this is not easy for a single person to lift
- Carrying handles have been reported to not be particularly durable
Sportsman GEN4000DF Dual Fuel Portable GeneratorThe Sportsman GEN4000DF is a dual fuel generator that’s designed for use in rougher and tougher environments. It has been designed with use on construction and building sites in mind, and as a reliable source of portable electricity anywhere you take it.
Being dual fuel, it will run happily on either regular gasoline or propane gas. This is extremely convenient as no special adaptations need to be made – the fuel type can simply be changed by flicking a switch, as long as you have both connected of course.
The wattage that the GEN4000DF is able to produce is dependent on the type of fuel being used at the time. Whilst they’re both much the same, gasoline will provide a maximum wattage of 4000, whilst you only get 3600 from propane. Regular gasoline will provide 3500 continual watts of power, but you’ll still get a very respectable 3150 continual watts of power when fuelling with propane.
The GEN4000DF very versatile generator in both the fuels that it can run on, and the tasks that it is able to power.
It’s fitted with a gas tank of 3.6 gallons. When filled with normal gasoline, it will run for up to 10 hours. If the GEN4000DF is connected to a 20 lbs propane cylinder, it’ll run for an impressive 12 hours when being used at half load.
It’s equipped with safety features such as a low oil warning system and an automatic shutdown to avoid severe engine damage. It’s a great generator for use in the outdoors, for camping, or for events that you just need some portable power that’s quick and easily accessible.
- A high powered generator that will provide continual power of 3500 watts, and a starting wattage of 4000 watts.
- 3600 watts of starting power and 3150 watts of continual power provided when fuelled with propane.
- Warning mechanism for low oil, as well as an automatic shutdown system
- Large number of power outlets, including 4 standard household sockets, an RV-Ready port, and a DC socket.
- No warnings of low fuel
- No wheels or easy transportation options provided as standard
Westinghouse WGEN3600DF Portable GeneratorThe Westinghouse WGen3600DF is a power dual fuel generator, accepting either propane or regular gasoline very happily. It’s designed with technology and concepts that are right at the front of the dual fuel generator market and is packed full of all of the features that you would expect from the oldest and arguably the best name in power generation – Westinghouse.
It’s able to put out 4650 watts of starting power and will provide a respectable 3600 watts of continuous power when running on gasoline. When being fuelled on propane gas, it’ll still push out a starting wattage of 4180, and provide a continual wattage of 3240 watts.
If you’d like to switch between the two fuel options, you can do so easily at any time by using the selector switch that’s mounted on the front of the generator. On the control panel at the front of the unit, there are also color-coded buttons that make for easy operation at all times.
It’s also fitted with advanced features such as low oil detection and automatic shutdown should the oil level become too low. It’s also fitted with a muffler, making this WGEN3600 dual fuel generator as quiet as it can be.
It’s CARB compliant too, meaning you can be sure you’re having as small an impact as possible on the environment when using this generator and can use it anywhere in the US.
- Multiple starting options – can be started with a standard recoil start or electrically too. It’s also got a wireless remote start option
- Very fuel efficient – the 4 gallon fuel tank fitted to the WGEN3600DF will provide you with power for a long time. If running on propane gas, it’ll give out 25% of its power for up to 20 hours.
- Has a large variety of sockets, including an RV-Ready tt-30R, making it quick and easy to plug your RV into should you need to.
- Not very lightweight at 109 lbs, but, is fitted with solid wheels making for reliable portability
Duromax XP12000EH Dual Fuel GeneratorThe DuroMax XP12000EH is by far the most powerful generator on our list of the best propane generators. It has a massive 12,000 watts maximum power output and can provide continuous power of up to 9,500 watts when being run on standard gasoline. When this unit is being run on propane gas, it can still provide an impressive 10,200 watts peak power, and up to 8075 watts continuous power.
With 12,000 watts of power available on tap, this generator is able to power just about anything you may want it to around the home. It can even be used as a backup generator for your house, if and when you ever lose power due to bad weather or another reason. It can easily be connected to a home’s main power through a transfer switch.
The XP12000EH is encased in a hardwearing, heavy-duty steel cage. It’s got 4 mounting points that make it easy to get into a secure position anywhere. It’s also got wheels attached that are heavy duty and well-made, it’s great for taking over rougher terrain and improved portability.
On the front of the unit, there’s an informative and easy-to-read control and information panel, providing information on how much power is being used, a voltmeter, as well as circuit breakers and oil warning lights.
There are numerous aspects that turn the DuroMax XP12000EH into a very refined unit. These include a shutdown mechanism that kicks in automatically is the oil level ever drops dangerously low, electric starting capabilities, and high-quality mufflers that allow the generator to operate at 74 decibels – very impressive for a generator that pumps out 12,000 watts of power.
The power overload protection that comes with this unit makes the engine halt if the generator ever becomes too hot.
- Very powerful and flexible – the unit’s 18hp engine can run on either propane or regular gasoline
- Long running times – the 8.3 gallon gas tank provides almost 10 hours of running power when operating on gasoline. A 40lb tank of propane gas generates up to 20 hours of usage, at 50% of the generator’s load.
- Duromax “Power Boost” allows users to easily flick between the 120V or 240V power output.
- System that warns of low oil and triggers automatic shutdown
- 10,200 watts of peak power from propane
- 12,000 watts of peak power from gasoline
- 3-year warranty
- Known to leak oil after starting the engine
- Some users have reported customer care to be slow when dealing with issues
Pulsar Products PG10000B16 Dual Fuel GeneratorPulsar Products’s PG10000B16 unit is another dual fuel generator able to run on both regular gasoline and propane gas. When it runs on gasoline, the maximum power it will output is 10,000 watts and offer continuous power at 8000 watts. When you choose propane gas, the unit will still give you 9000 watts of starting power, and continuous power output of 7000 watts.
The PG10000B16’s large power capacity is easily capable of covering all your power if you ever suffer a power cut at your home. The 10,000 watts of power it provides is able to cope with all large appliances in and around where you live. It’s can also power the larger machinery and tools you may have in the garden and the garage.
The 15-horsepower engine with which it’s fitted is efficient and comes cased in a heavy-duty steel frame. The tires are reinforced tires and don’t go flat whatever the terrain. For maximum portability there are also handles you can use to pull this generator.
To fire up the unit there is a choice of either recoil pull start or electric start. Depending on which of the two fuels you’d like to use at a particular moment in time, the selector switch makes it easy to select. It also comes with the safety features you’d expect on a high-end generator, including a system that warns when the oil is low and automatically shuts down the engine to protect it from damage. It also offers power overload protection and circuit breakers.
Because the PG10000B16 is also CARB compliant it can be used anywhere in the United States, and you can rest assured that you’re doing no unnecessary damage to the environment.
- Ergonomically designed control panel, with power meters and low oil indicators
- Many power outlets – an RV-Ready 50 amp socket, a 120V/240V 30A Twist-Lock socket, and four h120v outlets, along with a smaller 12V DC outlet. These make this Pulsar Products unit excellent for powering a huge variety of appliance types simultaneously.
- Maximum starting wattage of 10,000 watts when being powered by gasoline
- Maximum starting wattage of 9000 watts when being powered by propane
- More than capable of powering larger appliances around the house should you lose power
- Quite loud when operating at higher speed
- Power output said to be variable by some users
Whilst every generator on our list of propane powered generators are fantastic buys, they each have their own uses and points that they’re best at.
The Champion 3400W Inverter Dual Fuel Generator is great for fuel efficiency as well as powering smaller appliances, due to the high-quality inverter that it has fitted. It provides value for money, a brand name that is well-respected, and enough power to keep the large majority of appliances going for a long time. Being RV-Ready, it’s great for use when camping or traveling around.
The Sportsman GEN4000DF is the generator to go for if you’re looking for rough and tough power. It does exactly what it says – it provides power, is reliable, and is built with heavy-duty use in mind.
The Westinghouse WGEN3600DF is a heavy-duty generator that still offers portability. It’s got the Westinghouse name and provides 4650 watts of clean, safe power.
The DuroMax XP12000EH is a generator that provides a mass of power – 12,000 watts to be precise. If you need large amounts of smooth power from either propane or gasoline, you need look no further.
The Pulsar Products PG10000B16 is another generator that will provide a lot of power when you need it. It’s heavy-duty and features a great looking, easy-to-use control panel.
Last update on 2019-10-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API