In recent years, natural gas generators have become more and more common. In the past, they have been avoided due to lack of technology. They were not able to burn fuel as well, were not as durable, and technology did not exist to burn the gaseous fuels sustainably.
The concept of natural gas generators is exactly the same as those that run on gasoline. They are still powered by internal combustion engines, but mix natural gas with air instead of gasoline. It is commonly found that natural gas generators are also able to run on propane gas.
Generac 7043 Home Standby GeneratorThe Generac 7043 is 22 kW generator that can run on either natural gas or propane gas.
It has a very large power potential and long runtime capabilities, making it great or use as a standby or backup generator for your home.
The 7043 from Generac can run well on both propane and natural gas. At peak power, it will return 22,000 watts of power if it’s running on propane, and a very large wattage of 19,500 watts if it’s running on natural gas.
This Generac has a full remote monitoring system built in that allows you to check the status of your natural gas generator from any device that is connected to the internet. This gives you pretty much all of the information that you’d need to know about your Generac 22kW, including fuel levels, runtime remaining, and current power output. You’ll get all of this without even having to venture outside to look at it.
Within the 7043 is one of Generac’s G-Force engines. The G-Force engine is pressure- lubricated, and is more than capable of handling the large power demands that an entire house would place on it. The pressure lubrication that the engine takes advantage of means less maintenance and more reliability.
There’s also a NEMA 3 smart transfer switch built into this Generac that’s suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. In case you’re unsure, these switches are designed to manage multiple loads on the generator without any additional hardware. This is great value too, considering the switches are sold individually.
As well as the monitoring system, the Generac 7043 natural gas generator comes with a display that can be configurated to be displayed in many different languages that displays various points of information on the generator, including how much power you’ve got left, and reminders of service and maintenance intervals to ensure that your Generac is kept in as good condition as possible.
Even though this generator puts out a huge amount of power, it’s not a massively unstable and unreliable current like you might think! It’s fitted with inverter technology, making the power that it outputs safe for all appliances.
- Minimal maintenance since it has a “self-testing mode” installed, making sure that all components are operating as they should
- Uses True Power technology, which means that like smaller inverter generators, this Generac 7043 is able to deliver power that’s safe for smaller more sensitive electronics as well as larger ones.
- Screen display that makes it easy to see when there’s anything that might require your attention. It also give you advice on service intervals and caring for your generator.
- Well protected against weather in a RhinoCoat power-coated aluminium casing, fighting against the elements and rust.
- 22,000 watts peak power
- Maintenance required fairly frequently
- Wiring can be tricky to reach should you need to
- True power technology delivers best-in class power quality (less than 5% thd) for Smooth operation of sensitive electronics and appliances
- Includes a 200 amp NEMA 3 (indoor/ outdoor rated) whole house Smart transfer switch
- Generac evolution controller features LED indicators for generator status, utility power presence or maintenance required
- Tough, durable all-weather aluminum enclosure offers 3 removable sides for easy access for installation, service and maintenance
- Battery not included. Generac Battery 7043 5819 Sold Separately.
Briggs & Stratton 20,000 Watt Standby Natural Gas/Propane GeneratorThis 20,000-watt generator from Briggs & Stratton makes use of their symphony power system in order to generate the best possible amount and quality of power. At 20kW of power, the unit uses the symphony power system to prioritize those appliances which are most important. It’s designed to use the power that it’s able to generate as well as possible – if there are too many appliances requesting too much power at the same time, it will detect this and split up the power between them or prioritize a few.
The symphony power system prevents the generator from long-term engine damage by overloading. It also means that the power that is output by the 20kW unit is safe for all types of appliance, no matter how large or small.
It’s able to run on your choice of propane gas or natural gas. If you’d like to use it as a reliable backup generator, Briggs & Stratton have thought of this too and installed a transfer switch. It detects when power is lost from your home and starts generating power for a smooth transition and minimal downtime.
Before the transfer takes place, even if your home is using more power than that which the generator can output at one time, the computer built into the unit will detect this and split up its power accordingly.
It’s got a massive power output of 20,000 watts when running on liquid propane (LPG), and is able to output 18,000 watts of clean power from propane gas too. It’s also supplied with a 5-year warranty from Briggs & Stratton.
It’s a quiet and refined natural gas generator, being able to operate at just 68 decibels. For reference, this is quieter than some conversations between humans. It’s the 993cc engine is powerful, efficient, and quiet. Even if the areas that you live in doesn’t have a high natural gas pressure, it’s still able to be used as it’s rated to be used in areas such as these.
If your home is a bit tight for space, this is a good generator to choose since it can be legally placed just 18 inches from the outer wall of your home
- Runs on natural gas or propane gas
- 20,000 watts peak power output from gasoline
- 18,000 watts peak power output from natural gas
- Reliable – this unit’s got a strong and durable Vanguard engine
- Safe – the unit is so safe that it can be placed just 18 inches from the outer wall of your house. The National Fire Protection Agency has verified this
- Durable – the casing that this Briggs & Stratton is in is designed to act against rust and harsh weather
- Quiet – this 20kW generator operates at only 68 decibels
- Automatic transfer – if being used as a backup generator, it can be automatically set up to detect when a power loss in the home happens. Downtime is therefore very minimal.
- Very large and not easy to install – with generators of this size, it’s advisable to ask a professional to install it
- Power transfer switch can be hard to get up and running
Kohler 20RESCL-200SELS Air-Cooled Standby Generator
The Kohler natural gas backup generator is one that’s reliable should you require a certain source of backup power that’s sustainable and efficient. It’s encased in a high-quality, sound-proofed casing.
It runs at a very low volume and is one of the quietest generators in its class. It’s able to provide up to 20,000 watts of smooth, reliable power when running on propane, and will still output a massive 18,000 watts of power when burning natural gas.
It has an online monitoring system – the status of the generator can be checked from anywhere via any internet-connected device. This Kohler unit can also be set up to send you text alerts should it require your immediate attention. The status updates allow you to check important information such as the oil level, fuel level, and even how much power your Kohler is outputting at any one time.
The 20RESCL can be used to power as little or as much as you would like. It’s designed to prioritize certain appliances that are considered to be the most essential. If the 7043 starts to get placed under too much load, it will use this technology to power only those certain appliances. The management system integrated into the unit is really very impressive.
Due to inverter technology that it has fitted, you can be sure that any devices that you use with it are safe – it’s low levels of harmonic distortion make sure of this.
- Quiet operation
- Can be monitored online from any device
- Hard-wearing defensive enclosure
- Extremely low levels of harmonic distortion
- Output of 20,000 watts
- Slight vibration may be an issue
- Customer service thought not to be as good as it could be
- 20,000-watt air-cooled generator automatically starts up when the power goes out
- Includes 200 Amp whole-house, service entrance rated, load shedding, automatic transfer switch
- Fast response--power to your home in 10 seconds; premium power quality; quiet operation
- 100% corrosion-proof enclosure offers protection from even the harshest seaside conditions
- Measures 48 by 26.2 by 29 inches; 5-year/2000-hour limited warranty Battery type needed - Group 51
The Generac 7043 is a very refined unit. It uses true power technology, making the power that it outputs safe for all appliances. It’s easy to know when your generator requires attention too, it has an LCD screen and can be monitored remotely. The wattage that it’s able to deliver from natural gas is one of the largest in its class, at 19,500 watts.
The 20,000-watt generator from Briggs & Stratton is an excellent choice if the space that you’re looking to install your generator in is limited. It can be placed just 18 inches from the outer wall of your home. This has been confirmed by the National Fire Protection Agency, which is a very reassuring feature to have. It is however very large and cumbersome. If you’re interested in other smaller Briggs and Stratton natural gas/propane generators, you should take a quick look at this article.
The Kohler 20RESCL is a very large and very powerful natural gas generator. It’s efficient and runs very quietly. From natural gas, it’s able to push out an impressive 18,000 watts of power. The power that it generates has very minimal levels of harmonic distortion making it safe for all devices/appliances. It has however been reported to vibrate considerably.
Last update on 2019-06-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API