A good generator is essential if you would like to have the availability power wherever you are, and at any time. Buying a good inverter generator is even better. An inverter generator uses technology to ensure that the current outputted by the generator is safe for use by all electronics – most particularly those more sensitive ones. In this guide, we’re going to go through various points on inverter generators, as well as reviewing the 5 best inverter generators available.
Honda EU2200i – 2200 Watt Portable Inverter Generator
There is no doubt that the Honda EU2200i is one of the main leaders in the market of inverter generators. It extremely well kitted-out in terms of the features that it has on offer for the price. For example, the EU2200i has a new technology from Honda called eco-throttle. Eco-throttle tells the engine to run at only the speed which is needed to output the current level of power needed. Since the engine isn’t burning more fuel than it has to at any one time, fuel efficiency is much better, and the generator is able to run more quietly.
This generator also makes use of Honda’s advanced pure sine wave inverter technology. This allows the generator to give out as clean power is as possible, with minimal harmonic distortion. This means that it’s safe to plug any device into the EU2200i, even the most sensitive ones! Your laptop, phone, or camera will never be without charge.
- Starting power of 2000 watts, and continuous power of 1600 watts
- Uses one of Honda’s best engines – the GX100.
- Eco-throttle system installed resulting in better fuel economy and quieter operation
- Fuel-Efficient – when operating at maximum capacity, the Honda EU2200i will run for up to 3.5 hours. If operating at 25% capacity, it will keep running for up to 8 hours from a single tank of fuel
- Extremely Quiet and Refined – the EU2200i will run at less than 60 decibels when at full capacity. When being used more lightly, it will make just 53 decibels of sound.
- Extremely Lightweight – the Eu2200i only weighs 47 pounds. It is extremely easy to carry around
- Inverter Generator – the power output is safe for all electronic appliances and devices
- Low oil level warning and shutdown
- A warranty period of 3 years
- No fuel gauge
- Optimised for powering smaller appliances
- Not the cheapest in its class
Yamaha EF2000iSv2 – 1600 Running Watts/2000 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable InverterA good, well-made inverter generator is an extremely useful and sometimes an essential facility to have. If your home suffers a power cut or you would like to have power when off-grid, a reliable generator such as the Yamaha EF2000iS V2 can be very useful.
The V2 is the second iteration of the EF2000iS. Whilst very loved, the V1 did not offer a lot of the superior features that the V2 has on offer. Being fitted with an inverter, the EF2000iS is able to put out high-quality power that can be safely used by even the most sensitive devices.
The V2 is a highly economical generator – it doesn’t take a lot of gasoline to have it producing a great amount of power. From just one gallon of gasoline, the EF2000iS V2 can produce an awful lot of power very efficiently– it will keep running for more than 10 hours when being used at a 25% load.
The V2 is equipped with an efficient little engine making for a powerful, yet compact generator. It’s good for use in a variety of circumstances, including camping, in addition to keeping small devices and tools powered up. It’s very portable too at less than 45 pounds and is easy for anyone to carry around. Its quiet operation means that its ideal for use in any circumstance, noise restricted or not.
- Continuous power output of 1600 watts
- Maximum power output of 2000 watts.
- Operates very quietly – runs at less than 52 dBA when under a quarter load
- Air cooled engine
- Extremely fuel efficient runs for 10.5 hours at a quarter load, from just one gallon of fuel.
- ‘Smart Throttle’ allowing the engine to burn only as much fuel as is needed
- Advanced current stabilisation – the power from the V2 is clean, reliable, and smooth
- Lightweight and Very Portable – the EF2000iS V2 weighs in at less than 45 pounds
- Multiple electric outlets – the V2 has a good choice of power outlets. It’s got a 12V DC outlet that’s great for charging/powering small appliances, as well as an additional two standard 120V AC outlets.
- Low oil level warning and shutdown
Briggs & Stratton P2200 PowerSmart Series Portable 2200-Watt Inverter GeneratorBriggs & Stratton – a name that’s well and truly synonymous with both power and quality. The P2200 weighs in at just 55 pounds and is able to produce a continuous output of 1700 watts, as well as a starting output of an impressive 2200 watts. On the control panel at the front of the unit, there are multiple different electrical outlets allowing for simultaneous use/charging of multiple devices. Due to the advanced inverter that the P2200 is equipped with, it puts out an electrical current that’s very clean and smooth. There is very minimal (less than 3%) harmonic distortion, meaning that it’s more than safe to plug in any device straight to this generator.
The generator has a 1 gallon fuel tank that holds the gasoline. It’s very efficient, been able to run for near enough 8 hours at a quarter of its load. There’s also no need to worry about disturbing your neighbours either, as the P2200 operates at just 59 decibels when at 25% load, and then even quieter 57 decibels when running and it’s “eco mode.”
It’s also fitted with after low oil warning system, as well as a power overload warning system. It uses smart technology too, to make the engine run only at the speed that it needs to to put out the amount of power that you’re currently using. This means it runs for longer, more efficiently, and more quietly. Of these factors make it a great generator for use even when those restrictions are in place, such as at campsites or and quiet neighbourhoods.
The P2200 is lightweight, powerful, and can power many appliances at the same time. It’s well priced and is an inverter generator, meaning that you don’t need to worry when plugging in those small and more sensitive devices.
- Well-designed control panel makes for great usability
- Fuel efficient as the engine is only run at the speed that’s necessary. There’s also automatic idling technology which stops the generator when it’s not being used
- Offers parallel connection to connect to another Briggs & Stratton generator, allowing for the spreading of load and more power
- No electric start button
- Designed for use with smaller appliances – not great/suitable for powering heavier and larger appliances
Champion 3400W Inverter Dual Fuel Generator -w/Champion 50A Parallel KitChampion are well known for making some of the finest generators on the market. In terms of inverter generators, we believe the case to be no different here. The champion 3400W dual fuel has a powerful generator that can be filled on either regular gasoline or propane gas. Even though it pushes out a lot of power, it’s easily transportable and maneuverable at less than 100 pounds, and due to the fact that it’s fitted with a set of wheels and a well designed pulling handle.
The 3400W dual fuel from fuel from Champion is fitted with an electric start button. This is a great feature to have as many others in its class are fitted with just a pull start. This button avoids the effort, and is much faster.
If you’re planning on using the generator with your RV, this one from champion is an excellent choice. It’s all be ready as it is fitted with an RV power outlet as standard, and is also known to be powerful enough to power many air conditioning units that are fitted within RV’s.
It also comes with parallel connectivity capabilities. This means that you can join the forces of two generators to make one large power output, or to spread the load of a larger consumer. As long as it’s another champion generator and it has at least 2800 watts of continuous power, then it’s good to be connected up in parallel.
It runs at just 59 decibels, which is pretty impressive for a generator that’s able to push out 3400 Watts of power. This makes it extremely good for use in a variety of locations, and even those that have noise restrictions in place. The generator is quietest when running in eco mode, Android phone running at full power. However, with the “smart-throttle” picture that champion have installed in this unit, you will probably find that you rarely need to run the generator to its full potential.
- Dual fuel ready – can be fuelled by either regular gasoline or propane gas
- Starting wattage of 3400 and provides continuous power of 3100 watts
- Will run for up to 11.5 hours at a quarter load
- Inverter generator making for a clean and reliable power output
- Extremely quiet at just 59 decibels
- Parallel connectivity available
- Battery is known to lose power if the generator is left unused for a period of time
Westinghouse iGen2200The Westinghouse iGen2200 is a powerful 2200 watt generator fitted with a 4 stroke engine. It’s able to provide portable power, and a very respectable amount of it wherever you go.
It’s fitted with a 1.2 gallon gas tank, and is very fuel efficient running for over 11 hours at a quarter of its load. If you require even more power than what one iGen2200 can give you, then you can use the parallel connectivity option that’s built into this generator as standard. This allows you to connect your iGen2200 to another one of the generators from Westinghouse’s iGen line to double the power output that you have, and spread the load between the two generators.
It operates extremely quietly at just 52 decibels when at a quarter of its load. It’s fitted with mufflers and is in a very soundproof enclosure – high volumes will never be a problem when running the iGen2200.
This generator has four power outlets as standard, with two normal 120v sockets, and a further 2 USB outlets. This is a great combination of sockets as it allows you to plug in a variety of devices at the same time. For example, you might want to use an appliance and charge another at the same time. The variety of ports on this Westinghouse will cater for just that.
Being fitted with a high quality inverter, it’s safe to plug in any of your devices to this generator. It provides smooth and clean power, with the absolute minimal harmonic distortion. It also weighs in at just 46 pounds. This makes it extremely easy to carry around and place wherever you would like.
- Small, light, and portable
- Fuel efficient
- Produces very high quality power due to its advanced inverter
- Very fuel efficient as the engine will only run as fast as is needed to generate the required power output
- Designed to power small appliances, and is therefore unsuitable for larger and heavy machinery
An inverter generator is an important piece of kit to have, should you need clean and reliable power on the move All of the generators in our review do exactly this, and do so very well. As with most things however, each have their good and bad points – one may be well-suited to one person, whilst it may not be to another.
The EU2200i is an inverter generator thats very reliable. It looks great, you’ve got the reassurance of a high quality brand, and it’s powerful. It isn’t however particularly cheap, but you purchase power and reliability with this generator.
The Yamaha EF2000iS V2 is fuel efficient and very quiet. The power that it provides has very minimal harmonic distortion, if any. It’s very portable too. if you’d like a generator that’s small and quiet, it makes for a great and sensible choice.
The Briggs & Stratton P2200 comes well and truly packed full of features. It’s got a very easy to use control display, and is very informative to the user. It’s got a reliable engine from Briggs & Stratton, and comes with a good warranty period too.
The 3400W dual fuel generator from Champion is a very powerful unit. It is however quite large and heavy. It can be fitted with wheels to increase portability, but is certainly a good choice if you’re planning on leaving your generator in the same position for a couple of days at a time for example.
The Westinghouse iGen2200 is the ideal one to go for if you’re looking for long running times and great portability. It’s extremely quiet being fitted into a soundproof casing with mufflers. It’s only 46 pounds in weight, and will run for over 11 hours from just over a gallon of fuel – pretty impressive indeed!
Last update on 2019-12-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API