In this post, we’re going to take a detailed look at the DuroStar DS4000S, including its features, what’s good about it, what it’s best uses are, as well as what could be improved about it.
It’s a well-known fact that the DuroStar name is associated with good value for money, high build quality, and power. The DS4000s is no different – it’s designed with usability and power in mind.
The DS4000S is easily started with a traditional recoil starter, and it’s not at all difficult to get it quickly into motion. It comes fitted with a low oil level warning system, as well as an automatic shutdown system should the oil level become too low. This is great for preventing engine damage to your generator’s engine.
There’s a well-laid out control panel mounted on the front of the generator, underneath the large 4 gallon fuel tank. On the control panel, there’s a voltage meter as well as a fuel gauge. The fuel gauge is a good feature to have to prevent sudden loss of power after running out of fuel unexpected. The voltage meter allows you to see how much power the DS4000S is outputting.
The DS4000S is designed to be used in a variety of situations. Whilst it will perform well in a garden or camping environment, it will also go to good use on a building or construction site due to its hardwearing tough design. It’s encased in a solid steel framework and will handle getting moved around with force regularly just fine.
At 94lbs, this generator isn’t exactly light. It’s still easy to transport though as there’s an optional wheel kit with a detachable pull handle that can be easily fitted to the DS4000S. It’s not a loud generator either, at just 69 decibels. The optional wheel kit, in our opinion, is a worthwhile investment too. It’s very easy to fit together and makes for far easier transportation and moving of the generator.
This DuroStar is capable of a continual wattage output of 3300 watts, which is more than enough power to keep a number of small appliances running simultaneously, or a couple of heavier duty appliances. The DS4000S should have no trouble in powering more demanding appliances such as mobile heaters.
- Starting Wattage of 4000 watts
- Continuous Wattage of 3300 watts
- Portable – weighs in at 94 lbs, but there’s an optional wheel kit making the DS4000S easily portable
- 4 Gallon Fuel Tank
- Fuel Efficient – the large fuel tank on this generator will allow it to keep going for up to 8 hours when being used at half capacity. This is an impressive figure.
- Variety of Power Outlets – The DS4000S comes fitted with a variety of different power sockets, including 2 3-Prong 120V sockets, and another 120-volt twist-lock socket
- Powerful 7 HP air-cooled engine
- Provided with a 1-year limited warranty as standard
- A very well respected brand that is known for high build quality, and value for money
- It comes provided with an easy-to-read, unambiguous instruction manual
- Not lightweight or easily carry-able by one person – this can, however, be rectified by purchasing the wheel kit that’s designed to pull the DS4000S along with ease
- Not Dual Fuel – the DS4000S can only be run on gasoline. This isn’t the best if you run out, and gasoline is the only fuel that you are able to refuel with
- Warranty will become invalid if you fail to carry out the regular recommended maintenance
Conclusion – Should you spend your money on the DS4000S?
In our opinion, the DS4000S is a great buy. It offers portable power that’s affordable and high quality. It can be relied upon too, being made by a well-respected brand. The DS4000S provides a lot of great features too, including a low oil level warning and automatic shutdown system. This is great for engine protection/avoiding serious damage. Some of the features that the DS4000S has are not commonly found on generators of its price.
It’s more than suitable for a variety of uses too. It can be used when on a campsite, or to power your RV. It’s also well-suited to providing backup power for some of your home appliances in the event of a power cut and is great for use on construction and building sites due to its rugged nature and heavy duty build.
Last update on 2019-09-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API