The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 is a very powerful generator that’s able to be used as a backup or standby home generator, in order to provide power to those essential appliances in and around the home in the case of an emergency/power loss.
The great factor that sets the Q6500 apart from the rest of the generators available that can provide home backup power, is its potential to be easily portable. It comes with a wheel kit fitted to it as stock. It’s also safe to use with a variety of electronics since it’s fitted with an inverter.has a surge wattage of 6500W, and a running wattage of 5000W. Since it was designed mainly to be used as a backup generator, it is both efficient and refined – just as a good home backup generator should be. However, these are great qualities for a portable generator to have too, as you will undoubtedly know.
The fuel tank built into the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 is 5 gallons in size. The efficiency of the generator is very clear from the runtimes that it provides – from one tank fuel, the Q6500 will keep running at 25% load for more than 13 hours.
The control and information panel of the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 has been designed with the ultimate usability in mind. It’s ergonomically designed, with the gauges and sockets being intuitively positioned and easy to find. It’s got a meter that shows how much power you’re currently using (i.e. how much power the Q6500 is putting out at that point in time), and a fuel gauge. Whilst you might think that these are common features, they are not. An accurate fuel gauge such as the one on this Briggs & Stratton unit provides confidence that you are not going to unexpectedly run out of power at any time.
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 is fitted with a very advanced inverter. This inverter ensures that the power that is produced by the generator is clean, safe, and reliably stable. The current that comes from the Q6500 is safe for use with all appliances, even the smallest and most sensitive. This is due to the fact that it has less than 6% harmonic distortion.
- Surge wattage of 6500W – 6500 watts is enough power to start large appliances, such as televisions and air conditioning units. If you’re using the Q6500 for backup power purposes, this is great to know.
- Running wattage of 5000W – 5kW of power is sure to be able to keep a good number of smaller appliances all running simultaneously. If you’d like to power a larger piece of equipment in the garden, such as a drill, for example, the 5000 watts available are more than sufficient to do so.
- Fuel-Efficient – the Q6500 uses an eco-throttle system to ensure that the engine is only running as fast as it has to in order to output the current power required. This makes for an engine that can return more than 13 hours of power from just one tank of fuel.
- Power Usage Meter – the power usage meter on the Q6500 shows the current power output of the generator, which refers to how much power you’re using at the time of reading. This is a very useful feature to have, as it allows you to see how much of the generator’s potential you are using.
- Fuel Gauge – there’s no chance of running out of power unexpectedly whilst using the Q6500 thanks to its accurate fuel gauge
- Inverter – with not even 6% harmonic distortion present, the Q6500’s power output is safe for use with most devices and appliances
- Quiet and Refined – the Q6500 operates at only 66 decibels when being used at a 25% load
- Portable – the Q6500 has a handle and wheels that are very durable. Even though the unit weighs in at a considerably heavy 128 lbs, the wheel-kit and handles make for a very portable unit.
- Automatic low-oil level detection and shut down – the low-oil level detection system on the Q6500 is designed to detect when the oil level reaches a level that poses potential damage to the engine. Engine damage due to lack of oil can be either expensive to repair, or fatal to the engine. This system shuts down the engine before this damage takes place.
- Overload Protection
- Circuit Breakers – should a power overload occur, the circuit breakers on the Q6500 will cut the power in the generator. This protects against damage to both the generator and the appliance(s) that are plugged into the power outlets.
- Fairly heavy, weighing in at 128 lbs
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 is a powerful inverter generator. It’s suitable for powering a large variety of devices, from devices as small as phone batteries to appliances as powerful as drills. It’s a very sturdy unit at 128 lbs and is sure to be well-grounded wherever you use it. However, it may be difficult for one person to move around.
It’s kitted out with the equipment that it should have, including a power usage meter and fuel gauge. However, it does lack an electric starter which is often found on generators in this power band.
Overall, the Briggs & Stratton Q6500 is a great unit. It’s powerful, it has an inverter, and is well priced at $1200. It’s very easy to use and can be moved around easily by using the wheel kit and handle.
If you’re interested in the Briggs & Stratton Q6500, you may also be interested in our full review of the Honda EU7000iS – another powerful inverter generator.
Last update on 2020-09-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API